Tuesday 2 February 2016

1. NGÔ VĂN CHIÊU: THE FIRST CAODAI DISCIPLE


By HUỆ KHẢI (Dũ Lan LÊ ANH DŨNG)
English text by HUỆ KHẢI
English text revised by MINH TIẾN (Lê Quang Minh)
RELIGION Publishing House (Hanoi 2012)

*
Acknowledgement
This short biography was published in two monthly issues of Công giáo và Dân tộc (Catholicism and Nation), Nos. 158 and 159, February and March 2008. The manuscript was developed from chapters II and III of my book titled Lịch sử đạo Cao Đài thời kỳ tiềm ẩn 1920-1926 (The beginnings of early Caodai 1920-1926. Huế: Thuận Hóa pub., 1996).
I owe Chiếu Minh followers whose publication titled Lịch sử quan phủ Ngô Văn Chiêu (Ngô Văn Chiêu’s history. Saigon: 1962) provides me with trustworthy data of the first Caodai disciple.
I am so much thankful to Cơ quan Phổ thông Giáo lý Đại đạo (the Organ for Universalizing Caodai Teaching) for the first volume of its series titled Lịch sử đạo Cao Đài (Caodai history. Hà Nội: Tôn Giáo pub., 2005). Indeed, the book offers many a datum unpublicized by its antecedents.
I deeply appreciate Mr MINH TIẾN’s careful revision to my English translation. Thanks to my highly respectable coreligionist’s wholehearted assistance, I can feel secure about publishing it.
I am sincerely grateful to Ms TRẦN THỊ NGỌC YẾN and Ms YẾN HOA (Caodai Chiếu Minh followers, Long Vân seance, Mỹ Tho, Tiền Giang province). Thanks to their noble donation, this bilingual biodata can be reprinted to help universalize Caodaism. On their behalf, I am respecfully placing this gift in the hands of my honoured readers.
Bà Chiểu, May 2012

HUỆ KHẢI

*
CONTENTS

I. NGÔ VĂN CHIÊU’S SOCIAL LIFE

II. CHIÊU’S PATH TO CAODAI GOD

III. NGÔ VĂN CHIÊU AND THE CAO-PHẠM GROUP

IV. HIS LAST SIX YEARS (1927-1932)

BIBLIOGRAPHY