Friday 5 February 2016

1. INTERFAITH DIALOGUES AS VIEWED BY A CAODAI BELIEVER

By HUỆ KHẢI (Dũ Lan LÊ ANH DŨNG)
RELIGION Publishing House (Hanoi 2015)
*
CONTENTS
I. INTERFAITH DIALOGUES IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD’S PHILOSOPHY AND RELIGION
II. INTERFAITH DIALOGUES IN THE VIETNAMESE HISTORY
III. THINKING ABOUT INTERFAITH DIALOGUES IN THE CONDITIONS OF OUR PRESENT SOCIETY
IV. IN LIEU OF A CONCLUSION
*
FOREWORD
Muhammed Fethullah Gülen (Turkish author and Muslim, born in 1941) once said, “I believe that interfaith dialogue is a must today…” Bishop John Shelby Spong (American theologian, born in 1931) asserted, “The future will involve us in more interfaith dialogue. (...) We cannot say we have the only truth.”
Significant statements on the global importance of interfaith dialogues have been multiplying. This fact shows that interfaith dialogues should not be neglected by contemporary humans, especially for those following Caodaism, a tolerant religion entirely appropriate for any dialogue amongst faiths.
That was why I gladly attended the workshop on Interfaith Dialogues in New Conditions, held by Institute for Religious Studies (a member of Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences) on Friday morning 25 September 2015, at 27 Trần Xuân Soạn street, Hà Nội. That day, it was my honour to present “Interfaith Dialogues as Viewed by a Caodai Believer”.
After my writing contributed to the said workshop had been printed in Công Giáo Và Dân Tộc / Catholicism and Nation, a monthly magazine (issue No. 249, September 2015, pp. 109-128), I altered a few words and expressions thereof and put it into English. I sincerely appreciate my respectable teaching colleague Tú Đoàn, who read my translation and offered lots of helpful remarks.
I also would like to express my deep thanks to our noble and generous donors, who always strongly, unceasingly, and enthusiastically support our Programme of Joining Hands for Free Caodai Publications. As an obvious result, thousands of my present booklet can be placed in your hands.
With heart and soul, we pray to God for blessings upon our benefactors, their ancestors and relatives as well.
Namo Caodai the Immortal Mahabodhisattva Mahasattva.
October 2015

HUỆ KHẢI