Tuesday 2 February 2016

1. COCHINCHINA AS A CULTURAL PRECONDITION FOR THE FOUNDATION OF CAODAISM


By  HUỆ KHẢI (Dũ Lan LÊ ANH DŨNG)
English version by LÊ ANH MINH
English revision by MINH TIẾN Lê Quang Minh
RELIGION Publishing House, Hanoi 2012

*

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
This monograph was originally a talk at Cơ quan Phổ thông Giáo lý Đại đạo, (the Organ for Universalizing Caodai Teaching) on 08 November 1999. Later, the main part of its contents was first printed in two issues of Nghiên cứu và Phát triển (R&D Quarterly, Huế, quarters 2 and 3, 2004) and then in two issues of Văn hóa Nghệ thuật (Culture and Art Magazine, Hà Nội, September and October 2004).
I acknowledge with thanks that this English version of my monograph would not be possibly offered to readers if the author lacked great help of both Mr Lê Anh Minh, my dearly beloved brother, and Mr Lê Quang Minh [Minh Tiến], my highly respectable coreligionist. Indeed, the former laboriously collaborated with me in preparing the English text based on my Vietnamese manuscript. With an experienced instructor’s knowledge of the English language, the latter spent hours and hours carefully reading our translation and meticulously revised it. Again, I would like to express my deep appreciation to them both for their valuable assistance. Finally, I owe many thanks to all the authors whose works are quoted in my monograph. Their reliable information helps this piece of writing be so much enriched.
Huệ Khải
January 2008

*
CONTENTS

I. INTRODUCTION

II. THE OPENNESS OF COCHINCHINESE PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY

III. THE OPENNESS AND DYNAMISM OF COCHINCHINESE VILLAGES

IV. MULTINATIONAL AND MULTIRELIGIOUS FEATURES OF COCHINCHINA

V. COCHINCHINESE CHARACTERISTICS

VI. SPIRITUAL NEEDS OF THE COCHINCHINESE

VII. CONCLUSION

Bibliography