Wednesday 8 February 2017

2. A CONCISE CAODAI HISTORY: THE EARLIEST BEGINNINGS 1920-1926


FOREWORD
For lots of historical issues, one is required to patiently wait until time has passed, until historical figures have returned to the eternal world, until all dirty dregs of rumours, prejudice, and discrimination have sunk to the past, deeply lying under the clear water of the invariable truth; then, one might have an unbiased look into history, and partly understand the defunct’s innermost thoughts as well as their heart and will.
Consequently, history is always to be read again and written again. Historical events are often intermingled with each other, and every experienced historian has his own method to arrange them best. Nonetheless, my presentation in the following pages might be not good enough because I am not at all a historian. Only due to my own needs of understanding my beloved faith’s history, I have been interested in reading Caodai history books. Then, thinking that most of my co-religionists must have the same needs, I started compiling a few booklets to introduce a concise and general history of Caodaism. Each booklet merely focuses on a specific period or event of Caodai history. For instance, the present book concentrates on its earliest beginnings (1920-1926).
While preparing the English text included in this book, I have received lots of helpful suggestions and corrections from my respectable senior teaching colleague Tú Đoàn, whom I would like to express my sincere appreciation to.
At present, thousands of copies of this title are placed in our dear readers’ hands thanks to our innumerable noble and generous donors, who have strongly, unceasingly, and enthusiastically sponsored the Programme of Joining Hands for Free Caodai Publications, a journey I started in mid-2008.
With heart and soul, we should spare a thought of them, and pray to God for His blessings upon our benefactors, their ancestors and relatives as well.
Namo Caodai the Immortal Mahabodhisattva Mahasattva.

HUỆ KHẢI